Word Families - ail, ain, air
The word families ail, ain & air demonstrate the long vowel a
Free Word Family Activities
- Draw the word families: draw a picture of the
following word families in action!
- The snail
followed the trail.
- The train drove through
- The princess had fair hair
- Create your own word family sentences using the ones above
as a model. Try to create at least one sentence for each family.
- Create a short rhyme using your word families. This
is a good activity to do as a group. Here are some examples:
Slowly, slowly crawls the snail
Slowly, slowly up the trail.
Chugga chugga goes the train.
Chugga chugga through the rain.
The lazy bear had a chair.
Underneath my front porch stair.
- Other activities:
- 'AIL' and 'AIN' word family: Combine the RAIL and
the TRAIN -- play with a train set.
- 'AIR' word family: Play musical CHAIRs.
- Use the free printable worksheets
provided to reinforce the activities.
- Flash card activities:
These cards can be used for sentence building with the sentence
Print two copies of this worksheet to play "concentration"
(the memory game). Or print the flash card worksheets from a number of
word families to play "go
fish" or "snap".
Flash cards for the word families (6 each) [ail] [ain] [air]