Word Families - ar, ark, art
The word families ar, ark & art demonstrate the letter a making the /ar/ sound. This is a somewhat challenging word family for children to learn but I find it easier when these three families are taught together.
Free Word Family Activities
- Draw the word families: draw a picture of the
following word families in action!
- Don't drive the car
- There is a spark glowing in the dark.
- Start thinking smart.
- Don't drive the car too far.
- Create your own word family sentences using the ones above as a model. Try to create at least one sentence for each family.
- Create a short rhyme using your word families. This
is a good activity to do as a group. Here are some examples:
I took a pickle from a jar,
And ate it in my daddy's car.
The cow said moo, the dog said bark,
The cat said meow to the pretty lark.
I wish I were almost as smart,
As my best friend silly Bart.
- Other activities:
- Use the free printable worksheets provided to reinforce the activities.
- Flash card activities:
These cards can be used for sentence building with the sentence sequencing activities.