Word Families - ake, ate
The word families ake & ate demonstrate the long vowel a sound.
Free Word Family Activities
- Draw the word families: draw a picture of the
following word families in action!
- The snake
swam in the lake.
- Kate went for a skate.
- The snake swam in the lake.
- Create your own word family sentences using the ones above as a model. Try to create at least one sentence for each family.
- Create a short rhyme using your word families. This
is a good activity to do as a group. Here are some examples:
Eek! I think I see a snake.
Crawling 'round my birthday cake.
I tried to get in through the grate.
Because I didn't like the gate.
- Other activities:
- 'AKE' and word family: Bake a cake - it isn't every day you'll have such a tasty word family to work with!
- 'ATE' word family: We baked the cake and then we ATE it.
- Use the free printable worksheets provided to reinforce the activities.
- Flash card activities:
These cards can be used for sentence building with the sentence sequencing activities.